How Effective Is Online Tutoring?
For many years, online tuition has been a popular choice - but how successful is it? What are the main differences between online and face-to-face classes? Is it the best option for your child?
A teaching format, whether online, offline, in a classroom, one-on-one, written, or interactive, is only as good as the teacher's skills and instructional method. Professional tutors receive significant training in how to tutor online so that they may combine the format's advantages with their own experience to provide a high-quality result for their students. It's also worth noting that developing a working relationship online is simple – we're all used to keeping in touch with friends and family online, and meeting online is now the option in the workplace.
The following are some of the unique options that the online format provides for improving the quality of education:
- It's a lot easier to discover a tutor who is a good fit for your child online than it is with offline tutoring because you have a much larger pool of instructors to choose from.
- Students generally find it simpler to immerse themselves in online lessons when they use headphones.
- Both the tutor and the student have quick access to a variety of online learning resources (audio, video, PowerPoint, and so on).
- Online course materials are easier to update, especially in response to current events or changes in the exam curriculum.
- Tutors who work only online have more time for frequent, targeted training, and because online learning is at the forefront of educational technology improvements, these tutors are often the first to discover the benefits of these advancements.
The flexibility of online tutoring
Outstanding tutoring depends on a tutor's ability to exploit their student's unique learning style – and online tutoring makes this considerably easier for a variety of reasons:
- Colour, audio, and video content may easily be included and customised for a student's specific needs using online teaching tools, which is especially significant for kids with special educational needs.
- Lesson structure and layout may be much more easily customised to suit the needs of the students, and it's a lot easier for students to contribute to these customisations fast and effectively.
- 'Shy' students – those who are naturally more reserved or self-conscious in face-to-face talks – may find it easier to succeed with online tutors because they have more communication alternatives than simply speaking up' — instruction can even work without video if necessary.
- It's much easier to schedule a few trial tutoring sessions in order to discover the tutor that best suits your child's learning style and needs.
The more engaged a learning experience is, the more likely a student will remember and apply what they've learned. Online tutoring allows for the use of interactive materials as well as the usage of various online tools and platforms to keep students interested in and engaged with the topics they are learning. There are also some extra advantages on this front:
- Working online allows students to sharpen their technical skills while also practising a working style that will be increasingly used in their further education and professional employment.
- Students gain self-sufficiency through online tutoring since they are responsible for ensuring that the sessions take place and that they have access to the online working environment.
- There is far more 'face-to-face' time in online lessons than there is in offline classrooms because video calls are a major feature of online tuition.
In conclusion, SelectMyTutor has consistently witnessed the same levels of achievement from our online students as we have from our in-person students — and with students from increasingly varied backgrounds. While it's critical to select a subject tutor and a format that works for you and your child's specific requirements, it's evident that online tutoring is a very successful choice with distinct advantages.
We hope you found this article to be informative, and please contact us if you'd like to speak with one of our knowledgeable client managers about your child's tuition needs.